It all began in 1908 when people of the community identified a need for a hospital in Chilliwack and got together to raise funds to build one. They held many fundraisers as well as performances at the Opera House and a Feast of Nations event which lasted two days. By 1911 they had raised $5,000 which was matched by the township of Chilliwack. The first hospital opened February 28, 1912 and was built debt free.
The Chilliwack Hospital Auxiliary was formed in 1911 and on February 14, 2011 they celebrated their 100th anniversary with an AGM at Canton Gardens. Elaine Canning, Fraser Valley Area Representative and Vivian Fraser, BCAHA President, jointly performed the installation of Officers. Installed were President, Donna Goodey; Vice President, Joan Dixon; Secretary, Terry Sacco; Treasurer, Bernice Gowe; Past President, Mary Barclay and Directors Lynne Larsen and Alice Lackey.
Elma Pauls, Site Director and Manager over Volunteer Resources and Marg Bartel, Coordinator of Volunteer Resources attended as representatives from the Chilliwack General Hospital. Donna thanked Elma and the hospital for their contribution towards the luncheon today as part of their volunteer recognition program.
Four Life Memberships were presented to Lynne Larsen, Pat Chamberlin, Jean Northgraves and Laura Francis. This year’s Ann Davis Award recipient was Nellie Prinse.
On Wednesday, March 16, our Thrift Shoppe will be celebrating 12 years of operation and we’d like to thank the community for all their donations and support by inviting them for coffee and cookies in the morning.
On May 14, 2011 the auxiliary is celebrating their 100 years of service anniversary with a $35.00 buffet luncheon at the Coast Hotel 11am-3pm. Entertainment will feature ‘Elvis’ and HiQ, a barbershop quartet. The community of Chilliwack and surrounding area is invited to help celebrate this event and wearing costumes from the past is welcomed.
The auxiliary are selling $2 raffle tickets and souvenir buttons as well as luncheon tickets in the Thrift Shoppe at 9236 Main Street, the Information Desk at the hospital, auxiliary members and tables throughout the community for the next three months. The hospital auxiliary invites you to please support them in this endeavour, at one time or other some member of your family has needed the services of the hospital.
In the past 12 years alone the Auxiliary have logged 276,332 volunteer hours and over the last 100 years have raised over $5,000,000 (in today’s funds) to supply equipment and meet patient care and comfort needs at the hospital.